A few days ago, I blogged about our Christmas card photo shoot and how delightful it was (not) to go through rounds and rounds of photos before getting the picture perfect shot. Well, what I didn’t tell you was the holiday tradition that I’ve had going for two years strong now.
On the back of our Christmas cards, I include a countdown of our top 10 moments of the year. For me, it’s only so much to send a photo with a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays one-liner. I send my Christmas cards to people I don’t see on a regular basis. And maybe it’s egotistical of me, but I think they like to know what I’ve been up to over the past 365 days. So I’ve found that the top 10 countdown is a quick, easy way to let people know hey, we’re still alive without writing a novel-long recap. It also sums up the past year in preparation for the other holiday that’s right around the corner, New Year’s.
Now, I can’t take full credit for this brilliant top 10 idea. To be perfectly honest, I totally ripped it off from one of Shutterfly’s holiday card designs. Soooo, way to go Shutterfly! A+ for your smart idea!
Anyway, I thought our top 10 moments ought to be shared with you all. So without further ado, Mike, Larissa and Teddy Riley’s Top 10 Moments of 2011.
10. Mike finally entered the age of the smartphone when he bought the new Apple iPhone 4S. (If you’ve noticed him on Facebook more often, that’s why.)
9. On a spring trip to the Mayan Riviera, Mexico, Mike and Larissa swam with two Bottlenose dolphins.
8. Larissa started a blog this year, chronicling her day-to-day thoughts and adventures with Mike and Teddy.
7. Mike and Larissa celebrated three years of marriage on October 4th.
6. Mike became an uncle for the first time with the birth of his nephew, Gage Michael Carver, in January.
5. Larissa carried on the Sarusal family tradition of photography when she purchased her first digital SLR camera, a Nikon D3100.
4. In May, Mike and Larissa visited the Mayan Riviera, Mexico for R&R and to see her best friend get hitched under a gazebo by the Caribbean Sea.
3. Teddy starred in an online video for Beneful dog food. It’s currently on YouTube and is just shy of 300,000 hits.
2. Mike started a new position as a project manager in BJC’s Information Technology department at the beginning of the year. In case you’re wondering, he’s loving it.
I must make it clear that Mikey really doesn’t wear his Blackberry like this. See the story here.
1. With the help of Mike’s stepdad, Steve, we completely remodeled our kitchen. New cabinets, floors, appliances, back splash, light fixtures, window treatments — you name it!
2011 gave us much to be thankful for and proud of. I hope that 2011 brought very good things to you, and if not, here’s to many top moments in 2012. Happy New Year!